QUINTIUM™ Transparent Armor
QUINTIUM™ TRANSPARENT ARMOR
The world is looking for better and stronger materials. Quintium was developed to raise the performance bar on bullet proof glass. Typical structures are comprised of a hard boron silicate or ceramic face with polycarbonate sandwiched between. The polycarbonate is an extruded sheet and cannot be extruded in thick sections or else it becomes brittle. It is then laminated together many sheets at a time with adhesive, heat and pressure that is timely and costly. Then when a projectile (bullet) hits the polycarbonate, the tight, rigid structure cracks but catches the projectile. Quintium replaces the polycarbonate as it is a liquid cast to any thickness or shape (flat or curved). In addition, it’s toughened matrix allows it to be shot multiple times without cracking or crazing. In addition, it is lighter weight (10% via Specific Gravity) and has much better chemical resistance. The Hanson Group sells Quintium in drums to companies that have the equipment for degassing and processing plural component elastomers.
• A Patented Thermoset Technology (Made from a unique Polyurea/Urethane Polymer) for use in Ballistic Composites, Armor and Optically Clear Applications.
• The Product is easily cast into various shapes & configurations.
• Impact resistance and kinetic energy absorption exceeds all other available transparent polymers.
• Light transmission (clarity) exceeds most industry standards
• Less weight: approximately 1/2 of ballistic glass - effective weight reduction of 30-40% in transparent ballistic armor systems
• High abrasion resistance - Does not shatter or craze upon impact as does glass and polycarbonate used for transparent armor
• Retains sufficient visual clarity after impact to allow an affected vehicle to be driven safely
• Can be laminated with various face-plate materials
• Unlike most other ballistic-resistant polymers, it is resistant to chemical solvents and aromatic hydrocarbons (e.g. gasoline)
• Polymer re-closes after ballistic penetration resulting in unrivaled multi-hit performance
• Armored vehicles – Military and commercial
• Hurricane windows
• Breacher shields
• Airline windows
• Safety glasses/shields/goggles
• Riot shields
• Firefighter shields
• Camera lenses
• Spectacle lenses
• Blast room windows